9.14.2010

and a Three hour tour

It's a day like every day. My mouth spits out a sigh while my body lunges out of bed. I don my typical business attire and glare in the mirror. I may look the part but I don't feel the part
I feel as though I have had more interviews than Barbara Walters, without any visible emotional damage. Such is the life of a new graduate. Interviews and applications squared and maybe multipled to the hundredth power.
Professional is a goal I threw out a long time ago. Interviewers don't want to hear me list everything in a perfect, precise data way.  My interviews are fun now, for an hour I feel like I connect and laugh with someone.  I know they won't call me, but that's okay for now.
Then I get home, take off the happy mask and feel exhaustion to the fullest. One can't perform like this solidly unless you really are Barbara Walters.
She gets something from her interviews, whether it's an emotional explosion from the president or a hefty check from network; her job is rewarding.
My job is interviews and I'm not getting paid with dollar signs and numbers. I'm not even getting paid in emotional trauma from the other person.
Today's interview was over 3 1/2 hours long. It's not a job I want or even think about. The hours and the position sucks, but frankly, I'm tired of worrying. I'm tired of being Barbara...

No comments:

Post a Comment